About this blog

I started learning to play the Bassoon in 2015 as part of Making Music's Grade 1 Challenge: to learn to play an unfamiliar instrument to ABRSM Grade 1 within a year*. I have combined this with my 2 previous blogs, and will write about a variety of topics, some of which may be bassoon-related.
*(I passed with Distinction.)

Thursday 14 May 2015

In business!

In Which I Find Both A Teacher And An Instrument.


On 24th March I had an email from Judith at Making Music asking me if I'd found a teacher and an instrument. I replied that I was still looking for both. Judith then came back with the name and phone number of a teacher in my area, Dawn Allenby, and the name of a music shop in Sheffield. How exciting!

I rang Dawn. She sounded very nice and lively, and told me what makes of bassoon I should consider. She also told me about a musical instrument shop in Nottingham which she thought might be able to help. So I phoned them. They are called Windblowers and they were expecting me. They had an Artia, which they had had in their workshop for some time, and had very nearly managed to bring up to concert pitch. They could let me have it for £600, and I could take it away and let Dawn check it over. I was in business!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tykewriter welcomes polite and respectful comments. Other comments will be deleted.