About this blog

I started learning to play the Bassoon in 2015 as part of Making Music's Grade 1 Challenge: to learn to play an unfamiliar instrument to ABRSM Grade 1 within a year*. I have combined this with my 2 previous blogs, and will write about a variety of topics, some of which may be bassoon-related.
*(I passed with Distinction.)

Thursday 18 July 2019

Adventures in the NHS

On the 18th of May, I fell down during a rehearsal for Brahms' German Requiem. This was unusual. Except the same thing happened on 29th June.

Sheffield Music Academy  invited experienced choral singers to join them for their end of year concert which would include Brahms' German Requiem. As this is a work that means a great deal to me, I volunteered straight away. Rehearsals were on Saturdays from 8:30-9:30 am at Birkdale School.  I attended the first rehearsal, but the following week we were all asked to stand up. After about 20 or 30 minutes I found myself lying on the floor. Trying to get up, I had no strength or feeling in my left leg. I pulled myself onto a chair, picked up my score, and continued singing, whilst making reassuring signals to everybody.

After the rehearsal several people came up to me to make sure I was OK. I reassured them that I had not lost consciousness, had no chest pains, and could move all my limbs. I was pretty sure that the cause was sciatica as I have a prolapsed disc, and sometimes the sciatic nerve gets trapped causing numbness. I assured everyone that it had never happened before, and if it happened again I would definitely see my GP. Long story short, it did and I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment

tykewriter welcomes polite and respectful comments. Other comments will be deleted.