About this blog

I started learning to play the Bassoon in 2015 as part of Making Music's Grade 1 Challenge: to learn to play an unfamiliar instrument to ABRSM Grade 1 within a year*. I have combined this with my 2 previous blogs, and will write about a variety of topics, some of which may be bassoon-related.
*(I passed with Distinction.)

Tuesday 20 August 2019

Tiger on the loose!*


A former Lady Mayoress of Sheffield sent me a text message the other day. It showed a poster advertising a performance at the Sheffield Empire on Monday September 19th, 1938. George Formby was top of the bill. See how many other performers you recognise.

The Sheffield Empire Palace, from a postcard

I remember the Empire. We all knew it as the Empire, Union Street, although the entrance was on Charles Street. My mother took me to what must have been one of the last shows before it closed. I think it was Pinocchio. All I remember was that my 8 year old self had difficulty seeing over the high balcony rail, and I had to either stand or peer under the railing. I may have had a choc-ice during the interval.

Originally called the Empire Palace, it was designed by the famous theatre architect Frank Matcham, who also designed the London Palladium, Hackney Empire, and Buxton Opera House. According to Alan Bennett there was a Matcham theatre in every corner of the UK. It opened on November 4th 1895, closed in 1959 and was demolished the following year.

The Sheffield Empire was one of the largest theatres in the Moss Empire chain, bigger than the Birmingham Empire, with seating for 2,500. Some sources claim there were seats for 3,000 with room for a further 1,000 standing! Fire regulations, anyone?

Here is a link to a terrifying incident which took place in 1933.

*(The tiger story is in the link. I put it here to grab your attention.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

tykewriter welcomes polite and respectful comments. Other comments will be deleted.